Saturday, January 23, 2010

Master Cleanse!

Weight: 355.8
Mood: pretty good

So I am someone who likes to do things right.  or at least what I think is right.  Because I am a bit of a perfectionist, I find it hard to start a project because I have a fear of not doing it right... I am slowly getting over that, though.  That is one excuse I have used in dieting.  Every condition has to be perfect for me to continue!

I started a diet/cleanse called the Master Cleanse yesterday.  It consists of a homemade lemonade mixture and some other things.  If you are interested in it, there are lots of results in Google for it.  I won't go into all the details here, at least not all at once, but I will describe my experience in case anyone comes here looking for some info. I will say that it claims to help you lose weight, lose cravings, and "reset" your taste buds so that you crave healthier things.  I do not know whether I believe all the claims, but I figured it would be a good way to jump-start my diet. So anyway, today is day two, and true to its claim, I am not hungry.  Don't get me wrong, I still want food- but it's only day 2.

For those of you here to see my Master Cleanse experience, read on...for the rest of you, skip down to the bottom for the daily prayer.  Thanks for reading.

MASTER CLEANSE DAYS 1 AND 2 EXPERIENCE
So since I am diabetic, I did some extra research and found that by substituting agave syrup for the maple syrup. The night before, I went to Wal-Mart and bought the organic lemons, agave syrup, purified water, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and Yogi brand laxative tea, as well as some herbal tea.  I also bought four 2.2 liter just with handles and pull tops. 
On day 1, I almost didn't start because I didn't feel like geting up early to make the juice, but my wife me told me that she was going to do it too.  What a blessing she is!  I got out of bed and went to make the juice.  I was a little nervous because I wanted to get it right, but it was incredibly easy and fast.  I made 6 glasses worth (enough for 1 full day) for each of us, in two batches.

Here's the batch info:
3/4 cup juice
3/4 cup agave syrup
6/10 teaspoon cayenne
water to fill it to 64 ounces

This is what I did:
I juiced some lemons into a 1 cup measuring cup- I rolled them on the counter first (like Alton Brown told me to!) and then used a hand juicer until i had 3/4 cup.  It took about 2 1/2 or the organic lemons.  Then I poured that into a 2 quart (64 ounce) measuring cup, and measured 3/4 of a cup of agave syrup into the small cup.  I found this easier because I could see the exact amounts.  After I transferred the syrup into the big measuring cup, I poured in the purified water. Then I measured in the cayenne and stirred it with a whisk.  From there, I poured it all into one of my big jugs and put it in the fridge.

I took that jug and a jug of water to work with me, and over the course of the day I drank most of the juice and two jugs of water (the equivalent of 16 8 ounce glasses).  I drank some lax tea in the evening, but didn't really feel any effect.

DAY 2:
I was planning to get up early to do the salt water flush, but I decided to wait until evening for it.  So I made my daily juice ration and took that and a jug of water with me to the gym where I volunteer.  I thought I would be hungrier, but mostly it's just craving food when I smell it. speaking of smell, i think my sense of smell is getting more acute, because I could smell french fries on my daughter several hours after she ate!  I heard that this may happen, but I didn't believe it.  I also have been feeling colder than usual.  I usually have the fan going full strength but I have used a blanket for two evenings in a row.  The only other symptom that I have is a headache.  It is less today than yesterday, and I think it has something to do with quitting drinking soda!  If so it shouldn't last too much longer.
When I got home from the gym I did the SWF(salt water flush).  1 tablespoon of sea salt to 1 quart of warm water.  I chugged the whole thing, and it did what it's meant to do. Here is where I will tell you that I won't be going into the bathroom-y details. There are plenty of blogs out there that detail this part of the cleanse, and I will just say that so far, my experiences line up with them. 
So now I am sitting here waiting to go to sleep, and watching a crappy sci-fi movie with my wife, who has been a trooper and is still on track with me.  It doesn't help her that she hates lemons AND cayenne pepper!

Here's my pic of the day...i'm under a blanket because i'm chilly.
















Dear Lord,
Thank you for getting me through day two.  I could not do any of this without you, and I am sorry I fought so long to try to prove that I could.  Please guard my heart and help me with my cravings. 
Lord, we see the devastation in Haiti and pray for Your healing touch - both physically and spiritually. I pray that anyone reading this who does not know you will come to you today.
In Your precious name I pray
AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment